Take Your Children for a Water Game and Get the Benefits of It
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
Today, taking your baby for some water activity is not a strange thing anymore. Swimming is not only a fun activity to do, but also beneficial activity for your baby’s health.
However, there are a couple of things that need to be considered when taking your baby for a swim. Based on American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), water game for children under one year old is only to have fun and increase bonding between parents and their children. So, water activity for children under one year old, is not for learning swimming technique. AAP also recommends that children should be 4 years old or older to learn swimming technique. If you decide to introduce your children to do some water activity, you need to pay attention to these points:
- Make sure the swimming pool is clean.
- Limit water activity to not more than 30 minutes. Your baby’s body temperature is easily decrease, unlike adult temperature.
- Make sure to accompany your baby at all time. Make this moment as a time to improve your bonding with your baby.
- Pay attention to your baby’s reaction. Your baby can either instantly eager and happy to play, or reluctant to go into the water. Whatever it is, don’t push your children, just follow what your baby wants.
What are the beneficial effects of water activity for your children? Here is the explanation:
The emotional state of your children would get better. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), swimming can reduce anxiety and improve your baby’s mood.
Support motoric function.
Water activity triggers motoric movement of hand and feet, thereby increasing your baby’s motoric skill.
Increase your baby stability.
Water activity help your children to learn body coordination and body balance. According to a study performed in 2009 in Science and Technology University in Sweden, children who involve in regular water activity have better body balance and understand object easily.
Increase your baby response.
Water activity would increase your baby response. During water activity, your baby would be instructed repeatedly, so he will be accustomed to obeying repeated voice command. This will result in improved understanding of any voice command. A German study find that starting water activity early would result in improved social interaction and intelligence.
Introducing your children to water activity would hopefully result in increased confidence and your children will not be afraid of water in the future.
During water activity, make sure to do these things to avoid your children from getting sick:
- Do not let your children swallow any pool water.
- After any activity in the water, clean your baby to make sure that his body is clean.
Now you are prepared to bring your baby for some water activity. So, ready to have some fun in the water with your baby this weekend?