Growth Parameter for Children Under Five Years Old
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
The process of growth and development of the Little One goes very rapidly in the age of 0-3 years. Therefore, during this period, Mommy must always monitor the growth of the Little One on a regular basis so that the process runs in accordance with the stages of his age.
To monitor the growth of the Little One, there are several benchmarks that must be considered. Starting from the physical growth, cognitive development (thinking & reasoning), emotional and social development, speech development (language), as well as the development of sensory and motor skills.
When the growth of the Little One does not match the parameters, Mommy should stay alert and immediately consult a doctor. As a growth guide, to see the weight and height of the Little One in accordance with their normal age range, medical personnel will advocate the use of weight and height charts created by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Under normal circumstances, the Little One's physical growth consists of weight and height, has several benchmarks as follows:
Based on the weight of the Little One
- Age 4 months. The Little One’s weight will be twice as big as the weight at birth.
- Age of 1 year, the Little One’s weight will reach three times greater than the body weight at birth.
- Age 1-5 years, the weight of the Little One will experience an increase of approximately 2.2 kg per year.
Based on the height of the Little One
- Age of 1 year, the Little One's height will increase approximately half of the height at birth.
- Age 4 years, the Little One's height will increase approximately two times greater than the height at birth.
For development, one of them is characterized by the advancement of cognitive abilities of the Little One. Here are the steps:
- Age 12 months, the Little One begins to remember things that happened some time before, for example he can find objects hidden by Mommy after previously seen.
- Age 18 months, the Little One is more able to take care of him/herself, for example staying closer to Mommy and keeping a distance with strangers.
- Age 2 years, the Little One begins to recognize things by shape and color.
- Age 3 years, the Little One begins to follow 2-3 instructions. Example: "Take the book and put it on a chair."
- Age 4 years, the Little One can say the beginning and the end of his/her name.
- Age 5 years, the Little One knows the address and phone umber oh his/her house.
In addition to providing good and balanced nutrition for growth, Mommy also must provide stimulation appropriate to the age of the Little One. Stimulation can be done while playing, Mommy. Take a look on creative ideas to play for the Little One's intelligence on the Morinaga Multiple Intelligence Play Plan site for children’s growth. This type of activity is differentiated into the age category and for stimulation so Mommy can set it up on your own. Great, right?
If in the process of growth and development of your Little One, Mommy is suspicious that there is something not normal, immediately consult a doctor.