Effective Strategy to Overcome Cough on Your Little One
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
20 Februari 2019
It felt like Mommy had just breathe a sigh of relief because of the cough the Little One had suffered was just healed. But, how come, the cough is heard again? Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (ARI/Acute Respiratory Infection) is indeed often found in young Little Ones between the ages of 6-23 months, with the manifestation of this condition can be in the form of coughing symptoms. Although usually the symptoms of coughing will subside by itself but that does not mean that Mommy can stop worrying about the condition of your Little One, right?
You need to remember that coughing is the body's natural response as an airway defense when there is interference from outside. This response serves to cleanse mucus or irritating factors such as dust or smoke to be let out from the lungs.
Cough rarely indicates a serious illness and usually will heal itself within 2-3 weeks. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not recommend the provision of cough and cold drugs that are sold freely for the Little Ones who are under 2 years old. Moreover, the effectiveness of cough medicine has also not been fully proven.
To relieve the symptoms of coughing on your Little One, you can do the following independent management at home:
- Give nutrients that contain nucleotides and lactoferrin. Both types of proteins play an important role in increasing antibodies. Nucleotides are proteins that the body needs to be able to strengthen immunity towards infections and support the health of the digestive system. Nutrition will be absorbed and channeled properly if the digestion of the Little One is healthy. Nucleotides also play an important role in the formation of the metabolism of the Little One. Lactoferrin is a type of protein that binds to iron. Various functions of lactoferrin including as an antimicrobial, a regulator of iron absorption in the intestine, and a regulator of the body's immune system. Lactoferrin works on white blood cells to provide immunity. With a maximum immune system, your Little One will not be infected more severely than viruses and bacteria in the respiratory tract. Your Little One will be prevented from cough, cold, and ARI (Acute Respiratory Infection).
- Reduce the activity of the Little One, let him/her rest a lot.
- Place a humidifier in the Little One’s bedroom. This will keep the air moist and reduce dryness in the airways and throat.
- Increase your intake of fluids, especially warm ones such as soup. Warm food and drinks can help thin mucus or phlegm that attaches to the respiratory tract.
- When your Little One is sleeping, raise the position of his/her head. This will make your Little One breathe easier when coughing.
Although it may not be possible to protect your Little One from coughing 100 percent but you can take preventive measures that are quite effective, namely:
- Maintaining the health of your Little One by fulfilling his/her nutritional needs including giving him/her nutrients that contain nucleotides and lactoferrin which are useful in increasing his/her body's immunity towards infections such as a cold and cough.
- Applying hand washing habits every time your Little One and all family members are done with an activity.
By knowing the independent management of coughing on your Little One and the right way to prevent him/her from getting sick, Mommy doesn't need to be worried anymore. Hopefully, the Little One is always healthy!