Does Your Little One Need To Consume Worm Medicine?
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
Not only in adults, worm infections often infect the Little One. Indonesia is still one of the countries with high incidence of worm infections. The survey conducted by the Ministry of Health showed that worm infection in Indonesia reaches 96% and most often experienced by school-aged children is 5-14 years.
Some types of worms that often infect the Little One is the tapeworm, pinworm, hookworm, and roundworms. Worm infection occurs when a parasitic worm enters and lives inside a person's body. The worms breed and take nutrients from the body where they are.
Generally, worm infection causes some symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, impaired nutrient absorption, and anemia. If it happens for a long time without being overcome, it will cause growth disturbance as well as disrupt the cognitive ability of the Little One.
Seeing the negative impact of worm infections, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that the Little One is given worm medicine 2 times a year or every 6 months. This step is taken to prevent infection.
Apparently, the administration of worm drugs regularly is proven effective in preventing worm infections. Various studies have resulted in the provision of worm medicines to the Little One at risk of infection with worms can increase weight, improve learning ability, help concentration, and of course, prevent intestinal worms.
Who is required to take worm medicine every 6 months?
- The Little One age 12 months-12 years old. Children are prone to worms because self-hygiene awareness is still not as good as the adults.
- Residents living in densely populated areas. These include the residents from the environment with inadequate sanitation, such as unclean toilets, and others.
- Residents living or doing activities in the environment of many worms. For example, farmers or ranchers whose occupations are in much contact with the land.
Tips to prevent worm infections
To prevent worm infections, Mommy can do some of the following tips:
- Familiarize the Little One to diligently wash his/her hands using soap in running water after each activity or when he/she wants to eat.
- Ensure that personal hygiene and living environment are well maintained.
- Give the Litle One, additional nutrients that can provide double protection because of the fortified vitamins and minerals that can guard him/her from various infections, such as nucleotides and lactoferrin, so the Little One is not easy to get sick.
In addition to the above tips, giving the worm medicine for the Little One still needs to be done every 6 months, so that he/she gets extra protection from worm infections.