Be Careful When Using Antibiotics
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
Which Daddy and Mommy who are not panic when their Little One is sick? Cold and runny nose, coughs, and sore throat are 3 diseases that often infect the Little One. Not infrequently, when bringing your Little One to the doctor, your Daddy and Mommy are disappointed when the doctor does not prescribe any antibiotics. As a matter of fact, antibiotics cannot be given carelessly.
Antibiotics are drugs that (should) be used to treat bacterial infections. In fact, most of the coughs, colds and sore throats experienced by your Little One are caused by a viral infection, which certainly does not require antibiotics. The bad impact of using antibiotics that are not indicative or excessive is antibiotic resistance (a condition in which bacteria are no longer can be treated with certain antibiotics so that they need ‘stronger’ antibiotics). Other impacts are abdominal pain, diarrhea, and others.
But of course, if used properly, antibiotics will bring positive benefits to the health of your Little One. Do the following things if your Little One is given antibiotics by the doctor:
- Check the side effects of the treatment that your Little One will undergo
- Follow the instructions given by the doctor. Your Little One may look better after 2 days of taking antibiotics. However, if the doctor asks for medicine to be taken in 5 days, Mommy must follow the recommendation. Incomplete management will make the disease to come back.
- Make a note of the effects that occur after ingestion of the drug, for example a red rash appearing on the skin. This is an important information for the official medical record of the Little One.
- Antibiotics are not super drugs. Usually new effects will be seen after 2-3 days of treatment. So, Mommy must be patient.
- Avoid using antibiotics that were previously used for different diseases. Mommy must consult with your doctor first.
When your Little One is sick, he or she may be given antibiotics as long as it is based on the examination and prescription from the doctor which is certainly in accordance with the indication of the disease, namely bacterial infection.
For prevention, take care of your Little One's health by giving him/her a complete balanced nutritious food, especially nutrients that contain nucleotides, lactoferrin, probiotics and prebiotics.
Nucleotides are proteins that the body needs to strengthen the immune system and support the health of the digestive system. Healthy digestion means that nutrients will be absorbed and channeled properly. This will make the Little One to be more active and smart. Nucleotides also play an important role in the formation of the metabolism of the Little One.
Lactoferrin has various functions including as an antimicrobial, a regulator of iron absorption in the intestine, and a regulator of the body's immune system. Lactoferrin works on white blood cells to provide immunity. With a maximum immune system, your Little One will not be infected more severely from viruses and bacteria in the digestive tract and respiratory tract. He will be prevented from experiencing a diarrhea, gastrointestinal infection, cough, cold, and ARI (Acute Respiratory Infection).
Meanwhile, a combination of probiotics and prebiotics is very important in the process of maintaining the health of the digestive tract and the process of improving the absorption of nutrients by the body.