Appropriate Stimulation to Support Your Little One's Intelligence
Oleh: Morinaga Platinum
17 Januari 2020
The brain experiences a rapid development in the first 1,000 days of life, which begins at conception. At birth, your little one’s brain only weighs about 400 grams and is not fully developed. The golden period, which is lasted from 0 to 3 years old, determines the growth and development of the brain. Hence, your little one requires good nutritional intake as well as proper stimulation to make sure optimal development of intelligence. At the age of 3, his brain weighs 1,100 grams and is almost fully developed.
Stimulation is a series of activities performed to excite basic skills of your little one. It is important that stimulation should be carried out according to your little one’s developmental stages. From 0-6 years, your little one has a very high ability to absorb information. Stimulation given during this phase will significantly influence his brain development.
Stimulation, in the form of interaction between you and your little one gives positive effects to his emotional development, learning ability, as well as cognitive function. Interaction includes touching, hugging, talking, listening to his opinion, etc. Lack of stimulation may cause growth and development disorders that will surely affect intelligence.
So, what do your little one need in the first three years of his life to reach his maximum potential? Consider the following points:
- Your little one should feel secure.
- He should understand that he is special.
- He should learn to be discipline.
- Your little one should know and understand what kind of action that may or may not be done, which one can be done freely and which one should be limited.
- Introduce him to his environment by books, music, and educational toys.
Below are several basic principles that you should notice while performing stimulation for growth and development:
- Stimulation is carried out based on love and affection.
- Moms and dads should become the child’s role model. Give examples of positive behaviors to be imitated by your little one. Positive environment will also give sense of comfort to him.
- Playing is an example of fun stimulation parents can do. Engage your little one to sing and dance. Do it casually and without constraint.
- Use aids/toys that are simple, safe, and readily available.
- Do not discriminate between boys and girls.
- Provide positive response when your little one do something that makes you proud.
You need to know that the brain development of your little one does not necessarily stop after passing its golden period. Therefore, you need to keep providing stimulation according to his age, in order to reach his optimal development.
Want to know some exciting ideas to stimulate your little one’s intelligence? Please visit our website Morinaga MI Play Plan. Ideas for stimulation are divided based on age group and types of multiple intelligence of children. Let’s support your little one’s growth and development with appropriate stimulation.